This post belongs to the HTML course category. In this post, we have discussed what is HTML? and how to create a very basic HTML web page.
- HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language
- It’s not a programming language
- HTML is used to define markup/contents of a web page
- HTML provides tags for different type of contents e.g. link (<link>), paragraph (<p>), image (<img>), video (<video>) etc.
All websites are built using HTML tags, so HTML is the most important language to learn. To get started, just create a new .txt file and save it as index.html and add the following code in it.
The above code is a very basic and standard code which basically adds necessary HTML tags for a web page.
- <!DOCTYPE html>: tells the browser that the document type of this file is HTML
- <html></html>: The <html> tag tells the browser that contents added in between these tags are HTML tags
- <head></head>: The <head> tag is used to define meta data for the web page. The contents inside the head tag are not displayed on the website
- <title></title>: The <title> tag defines the title of the web page which is shown in the browser tab
- <body></body>: The <body> tag actually define the contents of the web page visible inside the browser
- <h1></h1>: The heading tag (<h1>-<h6>) is used to add different level headings in the web page
- <p></p>: The paragraph tag (<p>) is used to add paragraph in the web page
Now save this document and open it inside the browser e.g. Google Chrome and you will see the following output:
Welcome to my web page.
Congratulations! You have just created your first web page using HTML. In the next tutorials, we will learn about the other HTML tags and how to use them. Stay tuned!
If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments section. Thanks